Havana Restaurant (Chicago, IL) – Review
We walked and walked and walked and walked in search of food. Everywhere had an hour or more waiting time. Soooo…. hungry….
1) We were seated right away.
2) There was a great live Latin music ensemble playing.
3) The atmosphere and lighting were comfortable, open, and made us feel right at home.
4) The server was ON IT. Sarah was absolutely amazing – some of the best service I have ever had, which is especially spectacular, since she was running about 15+ tables. Insert mega applause here.
5) They accommodated my gluten-free diet very well and were careful to warn me about oils, etc, in case of cross-contamination (which is irrelevant to me, but if I were Celiac, would be REALLY important. It was good to know they cared).
6) The food was pretty darned good:
– The paella was fair, and the seafood in it was fresh (though I’d never had it with chorizo in it… really nice touch! I’m making my own like this next time.
– The pulled pork on jalapeno mashers was great. The jalapeno was too mild for me, and the pork a little under-seasoned. However, very well cooked and the presentation was excellent.
– Plantains were good, but I think I might have been missing a sauce (because of the gluten-free thing, most likely)
– Chips, salsa, pico de gallo and guacamole were all righteously delicious.
From Seattle, Matt & I applaud you, Havana. Well done. We will definitely be returning when we come back to Chicago.
Havana: Pan-Latin Grill & Mojito Bar
412 North Clark Street
Chicago IL 60654