Elderbow are the flowers of the Blue elderberry tree. We collected them from the wild and cleaned them up so that there was as little stem as possible while leaving them in small clusters of flowers. Please do not collect from the wild without properly identifying the plant you are using, as it can be dangerous.
This recipe comes from Dr. John Kallas, who runs Wild Food Adventures.
2 C all-purpose flour
6 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
- Blend well and set aside.
4 large eggs, well beaten
3/8 C olive oil
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp rum extract
2 C 1% milk
- Gradually beat olive oil into eggs until well beaten.
- Add vanilla and rum extracts.
- Gradually beat in to mixture.
- Stir dry ingredients, gradually adding liquid. Don’t over stir!
- Decompress and gradually fold in 1.5 C compressed elderbow flowers.
- Let rest for 3 minutes.
- If too thick, gradually add up to 1/2 C milk.
- Oil griddle liberally.
- Ladle batter and make 5″ pancakes.
- When light golden brown, flip and cook the other side. Do not press flat.
- Increase or decrease heat as necessary (cooking too slowly will dry them out, and cooking too quickly will burn them).
- Place finished pancakes in a warm container until served, covered with a towel to keep moisture in.
- Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar.