Blue Cheese with Honeydew Basil Preserve
I wanted to try an appetizer that was completely different. A flavor set that would be unique and surprising. Jesse and I had done an antipasto dinner night, and it inspired me… I decided on honeydew, blue cheese (Gorgonzola), and basil. And it was phenomenal. You’ll be sure to impress any dinner party guests.
Half a ripe honeydew (better less ripe than overripe)
1/2 C (packed) basil leaves (minced in food processor)
1 lime (juice)
1 lemon (zest)
1 Tbsp sugar (if necessary)
1/2 C small mint leaves
1 tsp olive oil or flax seed oil
1/2 lb. Blue Cheese / Gorgonzola (enough for about 30 crackers)*
Rice crackers (get a plain, unflavored one. Salted, at most.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with rack in the middle.
- Scoop out meat of half the honeydew into a pot. Simmer.
- Mince basil.
- Zest lemon.
- When softened, use ladle or potato masher to mash until smooth.
- Continue simmering (don’t forget to stir!) until honeydew is a little thinner than the consistency of jam or preserves.
- Remove from heat. Mash out any remaining lumps, then stir in minced basil and lime juice.
- Taste. If needed, add sugar (mix well). Set aside to cool.
- Gently rub mint leaves in oil. Coat well. Set on a cookie sheet with foil over the top. Bake for about 3-5 minutes, or until they are crisp. Cool.
- Set out your serving tray, and spread a thin layer of the honeydew basil preserve on all the crackers.
- Put a small slice of the Blue cheese / Gorgonzola cheese on each cracker.
- Add a crisped mint leaf to the top of each cracker.
- Sprinkle all with lemon zest.
*Though this recipe is generally gluten free, many blue cheeses are not gluten free. Be sure to ask, or substitute with a different cheese.