Teriyaki Buffalo Patty Lettuce Wraps – Elimination Diet Style
So how do you make teriyaki burgers without beef, chicken, pork, breadcrumbs, egg, butter, olive oil, wheat, yeast, soy sauce, tamari, sugar, or cornstarch? You get creative, that’s what.
For the Buffalo Patties:
1 lb ground buffalo meat
1/4 medium onion, minced
1 inch fresh ginger, grated
1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
3 Tbsp fresh chives, minced
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
3 Tbsp coconut aminos (non soy, non wheat soy sauce substitute)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
To be served with the patties:
1/2 onion, cut into half-onion rings (“C” shaped slices)
Lettuce (just about anything but iceberg)
1 green onion, sliced finely
2 Tbsp cold water
TINY pinch xantham gum
1 1/2 Tbsp brown rice syrup
1″ fresh ginger, grated
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp coconut aminos
- Make your sauce first.
- Mix water and xantham gum until it is dissolved.
- Add ginger, syrup, onion and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Put over low heat and stir until it starts to thicken. If it needs more xantham, add it, but USE SPARINGLY! A little too much is a lot too much!
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in coconut aminos and mix well.
- Set aside.
- Wash your lettuce – you’ll need about 6-8 pieces of lettuce.
- Toss the half onion into a non-stick pan and cook them through, caramelizing them. Set aside.
- Heat up a large cast iron pan with a dash (1/2 – 1 Tbsp) of grapeseed oil in it.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl with your hands, and form them into little Falafel-sized balls.
- Fry them up till cooked through. I like mine done in a super hot pan so that they get a little char on them, but are still tender and moist, and a bit more rare in the middle.
- Build, using lettuce as the base, caramelized onion next, and teriyaki buffalo patties on top. Add sauce, and garnish with green onion.