Kickin’ Hints Summer Salad
Wow. I tried something new, and wow. This was above and beyond most simple salads I’ve put together – by far. It has light fruit overtones, and is a great companion to spicy summer meals or light meats (chicken or pork). We served it with broiled apricots and BBQ chicken lettuce wraps.
1.5 large red bell peppers
3/4 medium Walla Walla sweet onion
1 C minced cilantro
1/2 bag frozen white corn (about 1 1/4 C)
1 C fresh (not canned!), minced pineapple
5 small cloves crushed garlic
1/2 C lime juice
2 Tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp sumac (fuchsia colored spice that tastes somewhat like a tart strawberry)
- Chop onion and bell pepper into small pieces (half-dime sized or smaller).
- Mix in minced cilantro, minced pineapple, and 1/2 bag frozen white corn.
- Crush 5 small cloves garlic, add.
- Add lime juice, pepper, salt, agave nectar, sumac, and cayenne.
- Mix together very well and let sit about 15-20 minutes.