Smoked Mushroom Truffle Pasta Salad
I said to my brain, “well, what are we going to bring to Christmas dinner? There are a lot of people coming…”
To this, my brain replied with nothing but a quiet hum, which was not the most useful of responses, given the urgency of the situation. Christmas dinner was in a few hours.
“Truffles,” said my stomach, “and Parmesan.” I let the flavors roll over my thoughts, and as though a creature unto itself, it became.
Sun dried tomatoes… Basil… Farfalle pasta… with a smokiness that curls on your tongue, smooth like cream.
It was positively spectacular.
2 lb dry Farfalle pasta (bowtie) (use quinoa pasta for gluten-free option)
1/2 C rehydrated sun dried tomatoes, chopped (I used tomatoes jarred in oil)
8 small crimini mushrooms
8 shiitake mushrooms
1/2 lb oyster mushrooms
1/2 lb Chanterelle mushrooms
2 Tbsp white truffle oil
2 tsp liquid smoke
1 1/2 C half & half
1/4 lb Parmesan cheese, grated with a fine microplane
2 Tbsp butter
6 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 C fresh basil, chopped
4 Tbsp parsley leaves, chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste
3 oz smoked salmon (omit for vegetarian option)
- Boil water in large pot, cook pasta, drain, and aside.
- Slice crimini and shiitake mushrooms thinly.
- Take oyster and Chanterelle mushrooms and rip them into strips by tearing from the cap toward the bottom of the stem. They should be fairly thin segments.
- Heat a large, nonstick pan on high and add butter.
- When pan is hot, toss in sundried tomatoes, garlic and all mushrooms. Add about a half teaspoon of salt, and crack fresh pepper over the top. Cook through and remove from heat.
- Add cream to small pot and heat gently. When warm, add Parmesan a little at a time, stirring to melt it in.
- Add truffle oil to cream, mix, and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl or pot, add drained pasta, mushroom mixture, cream sauce, bail, and parsley. Mix well.
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Sprinkle liquid smoke over the top and crumble smoked salmon over the top and fold both into the mix until well blended.
- Serve hot or cold.